Beauty Is More Than Skin Deep: Natural Skin Beauty & Health
Beauty Is More Than Skin Deep: Natural Skin Beauty & Health
By Dr. Rachel Eva Dew, DNM
In this blog I am taking a deeper look (and comparing) skincare products. I know that many of us can easily get swept up into all of the promises of youth and perfect skin that many products out there offer. But guess what?!? Most of those products are completely counterproductive because they have harsh and toxic chemicals which have negative long-term effects on the skin and on your health. The toxins we encounter (and absorb) on our face and skin can disrupt hormones, decrease our immune system, inflame allergies and even cause the skin to age!! Guess what else… there are actually natural options that work much better.
STOP AND PAUSE.
Think about this… many people are spending hundreds, if not thousands of dollars trying to have healthier looking skin while actually making their skin sicker, more worn and weathered AND throwing off their health such as their gut health and skin microbiome.
To be perfectly honest, drinking at least ½ your body weight in ounces of water per day would have a more positive impact on wrinkles than most $250 anti-aging creams, and water is FREE!
Your Skin Is Your Largest Microbiome. What’s Happening on The Outside Is A Reflection of The Inside
Skin problems are feedback and when we suppress feedback without healing the root problem, we can make the root problem even worse! When we have dry skin, increased appearance of aging, sun spots, melasma flair ups, eczema, breakouts or rashes we need to first look inward. Here is the real question we should each ask ourselves, ‘What is out of balance in my body? Then, we need to take steps to resolve and rebalance those.
The first places I look when it comes to skin issues are:
- Nutritional choices
- Toxins (exposure through foods, skincare, beauty, home products and environment)
- Gut health
- Sleep pattern
Healthy Skin from The Inside-Out & The Outside-In
When we address outer skin issues through taking steps towards increasing inside health at the same time as taking steps to support our skin health natural from the outs-side in we create a win-win situation. We get healthier, more youthful and vibrant looking skin while also getting healthier skin. Our skin is our largest organ as well as the body’s largest microbiome. Our skin serves many functions as an organ beyond being the attractive wrapping paper we come packaged in. Here are a few of the things your skin does (when it is healthy):
- ‘Protection: against pathogens. Langerhans cells in the skin are part of the immune system.
- Storage: stores lipids (fats) and water.
- Sensation: nerve endings detect temperature, pressure, vibration, touch, and injury.
- Control water loss: the skin prevents water from escaping by evaporation.
- Water resistance: it prevents nutrients from being washed from the skin
- Thermoregulation: by producing sweat and dilating blood vessels, the skin helps keep the body cool. “Goosebumps” and blood vessel constriction, help us retain heat’.
5 Tips for Inner Care That Produces Healthier Skin
- Drink more clean water (filtered & not stored in plastic), it’s the best antiaging and skincare thing you can do!
- Dry brushing to remove trapped toxins
- Going organic, clean & green with your skincare, beauty & home products
- Focusing on creating more gut health (pre & probiotics are a great start) – check out my 3-part blog series on gut health for more tips, you can read the first blog HERE
- Try Abhyanga Ayurvedic self-massage for lymphatic drainage & increasing circulation (you can find some great how to videos on Youtube)
- Remember that food is food for your skin as well! Making healthier nutritional choices will show on the outside as well as the inside.
My Top Natural Skincare Products Ranked
These are not products I am paid to endorse; they are actually what I use on my own skin every single day!
#1 Argan & Emu Oil:
Why this is my favorite: Pure organic Argan Oil mixed with organic pure Emu Oil (at a 50/50 ratio – buy each and then mix together) is all natural, no chemicals, cost effective, doesn’t clog pours and can usually be found in eco-friendly glass containers (this is also better for your health since there are no carcinogens leaching out of the plastic and into your skin care/beauty product). I have not found a better every day moisturizer than this!
#2 Countersun Mineral Sunscreen Mist:
Why I love it – Sun protection is CRITICAL and should be part of everyone’s daily skincare routine!! I always had a hard time getting my daughter to use sticky gooey sun protection. This one is the first non-toxic spray that I have found! Find it HERE
#3 Primal Derma –
Why I love it – A completely pure, natural and toxin free deep moisture support for eczema and extremely dry or chapped skin. Another reason I love it is that this small company is eco-friendly, low waste, animal conscious and packaged in glass. For a really good read on skin health, tallow (aka the magic ingredient) and how they are reducing animal product waste to be more sustainable and reduce their footprint check out their website. Find it HERE
#4 – Yarrow Palm Oil by Doterra –
Why I love it – Yarrow has powerful bioactive compounds and skin-protecting proteins that promote the appearance of firmer, smoother, younger-looking skin. Again, this oil does not clog pours and has a base of Jojoba and Argan oil. I use this on my whole body. Find it HERE
#5 – Araza Coconut Charcoal & Seagreens Treatment Mask –
Why I love it – This is a powerful treatment! My skin always looks completely revived after using it and the best thing is it is a woman owned company and feature not only toxin and chemical free ingredients but is also a paleo certified ingredient-based company. Find it HERE
#6 – Tambra Age Defying Stem Cell Line (Stem Cell Night Cream & Stem Cell Serum) –
Why I love it – Plant stem cells are so incredibly regenerative to the skin and I have not come across another non-toxic and chemical free line that has them within their ingredients along with other powerful anti-aging ingredients. I also love this line because it is woman owned, they are fully transparent about every single ingredient on their website, made in small batch and comes in glass containers! These two products also contain Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) which only the top end beauty and skin care products use. However, if you have a flushing reaction or allergy to Niacinamide be sure to patch test on your arm before applying to your face. Find it HERE
#7 Cellfood Oxygenating Skin Care –
Why I love it – This product is really a face supplement and restores the ph and skin microbiome. It hydrates and also renews. Another reason why I love it is that it is one of the more inexpensive non-toxic skin care products out there. Find it HERE
#8 Haters Say It’s Photoshopped by Apothekary
Why I love it: Chocked full of antioxidants, adaptogens and collagen, this is a new approach to beauty from the inside out. This powder beauty supplement gets sprinkled into your morning juice or smoothie to help you optimize your butter beauty from the inside-out. Find it HERE
I am a big believer that wellness, natural beauty and optimal health should be more accessible to all! We are getting down a rabbit hole of privilege-only access with $150 yoga mats, spending thousands of dollars on a billion costly supplements and $200 anti-aging wrinkle creams. So, my commitment to you is to always try to offer a wide range of resources and information that is within your reach. This is why I will be including DIY home recipes for those of you who are cost conscious and/or trying to live more sustainable eco-friendly lives.
DIY Home Recipe for Healthy Skin:
Here are two of the DIY skincare products I use at home –
Avo-Love Moisture Mask
1 whole avocado mashed up, 1 teaspoon of colloidal oatmeal mixed into 1 teaspoon of warm water, 1 teaspoon of raw unrefined coconut oil and 1 egg yolk. Mix well and then apply thick paste onto face. Allow to soak in and dry for 20 minutes. Rinse with warm water.
DIY Age Defying Face & Body Moisture Serum
What you will need:
- Argan oil (100% pure, unscented organic and if you can find it, in a glass bottle versus plastic) – Argan oil is beneficial to the skin by providing deep moisture without clogging pours. It is literally food for your face with vitamin A, vitamin E, antioxidants, omega-6 fatty acids and linoleic acid.
- Emu oil (100% pure, unscented organic and if you can find it, in a glass bottle versus plastic) – Emu oil prevents the skin from prematurely aging. It Decrease inflammation, helps with scars, and sun damage. Emu oil is rich in DHEA.
- Frankincense essential oil (100% pure, organic and if you can find it, in a glass bottle versus plastic) – this powerful essential oil has been known to combat certain types of cancers, including skin cancer. It is used to reduce the appearance of wrinkles and skin discoloration. It stimulates the growth of new cells and therefore is beneficial in anti-aging.
- Myrrh essential oil (100% pure, organic and if you can find it, in a glass bottle versus plastic) – Myrrh has been used for thousands of years for its healing and beautifying properties. It helps fade blemishes on the skin and can reduces symptoms of eczema.
In a glass bottle mix 3 ounces of Argan oil, 3 ounces of Emu oil, 15 drops of Frankincense and 15 drops of Myrrh oil. Cap the bottle and shake well to thoroughly mix. Then apply a quarter size amount to your face and neck in upwards circular motions. You may also apply liberally to your entire body. Make sure to avoid your eyes and genitals.
Here’s to your skin health!